Arrested For Solicitation Or Prostitution in Los Angeles?
In Los Angeles, California, Sex crimes such as prostitution, pandering or pimping, and solicitation are taken very seriously. These can be filed as either misdemeanors or felonies. Prostitution is the act of receiving payment, whether it’s money or anything else of value, in exchange for a sexual act, which may include sexual intercourse.
On the other hand, pimping refers to the solicitation of acts of prostitution or pandering on behalf of someone else. This could involve enticing someone to engage in sexual activity with another person in exchange for money or other forms of compensation. Engaging in any of these activities is considered a criminal offense in California and can result in serious legal consequences such as damaging one’s career, reputation, and even lead to imprisonment and hefty fines.
However, the experienced Los Angeles County prostitution lawyer at the Tabibnia Law Firm can provide effective legal solutions to help their clients overcome these stigmatic charges. Their legal expertise can help clients move forward with their lives without the burden of having a sex crime permanently recorded on their criminal record.
What is Considered Prostitution in Los Angeles, California?
Prostitution is considered a sex offense in Los Angeles, California, and individuals can face criminal charges for soliciting or engaging in it. The state of California defines prostitution as the act of having sexual intercourse or engaging in sexual acts with another person in exchange for compensation, which may include non-cash payments. Thus, any exchange of value for sexual activity can lead to prostitution charges under California law.
Under California law, individuals can face prostitution charges if they engage in, agree to engage in, or solicit someone else to engage in prostitution. This includes:
- Engaging in sexual activity in exchange for compensation
- Agreeing to exchange sexual activity for compensation
- Soliciting someone else to exchange sexual activity for compensation
Prostitution charges can apply to anyone involved in the exchange, including:
- The person receiving compensation for sex
- The person paying for sexual activity
- The person arranging the sexual encounter between two individuals.
Penalties for Prostitution in Los Angeles, California
If convicted of PC 647(b) for solicitation or prostitution in Los Angeles, the penalties you face depend on whether you have prior convictions. While a first offense does not carry mandatory jail time, PC 647(b) is a priorable offense, meaning repeat offenders will face mandatory jail time. PC 647(b) is also not considered a sex offender registrable offense under PC 290. The following penalties apply to a first-time conviction:
- Up to 1 year in LA County Jail
- Up to $1,000 fine
- Up to 3 years of summary or unsupervised probation
- Community labor/service
- Completion of HIV Awareness program
- Up to 30-day driver’s license suspension if the offense was committed within 1,000 feet of a private residence and with the use of a vehicle
If you have previous convictions for PC 647(b), you will face additional penalties which include mandatory minimum jail time:
- 45 days with one prior conviction
- 90 days with two or more prior convictions
Consequences of Prostitution Charges in Los Angeles
Prostitution charges can have serious consequences beyond just criminal penalties. Your reputation can be irreparably damaged with a sex crime on your record, impacting your personal relationships, career prospects, and community standing. Even if the criminal penalties may not be severe, your record will always carry this stigma, and future background checks will reveal the charges. Each prostitution charge is unique and requires a customized approach to legal solutions. At our law firm, our experienced criminal lawyer has a successful track record of defending clients against solicitation and prostitution charges, allowing us to act swiftly and obtain the best possible outcome for each individual case.
Best Defenses Against a Prostitution Charge in Los Angeles
In prostitution cases, the defense strategy will depend on the specific circumstances of the charge. Generally, there are a few defenses that are often successful:
- Lack of Trustworthy Evidence: If there is no record of an agreement to exchange goods, services, or money for sex, the case against you may be weak. The prosecution must prove that you accepted compensation for sex, and without reliable evidence, our prostitution defense lawyer in Los Angeles could potentially get the case dismissed.
- Insufficient Evidence: Even if the prosecution has evidence of the agreement, it may not be strong enough to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. If the evidence is inconclusive, we can fight the case on your behalf.
- Entrapment: If undercover officers cross the line and induce you to commit the offense, you could potentially win the case outright. Entrapment is a strong defense that can result in all charges being dropped.
- Honest Mistake: In many cases, the evidence against you may be hazy, and you may not have intended to trade sex or perform a “lewd act” for compensation. For example, if you responded to an online ad, went out with a wealthy individual, or an undercover officer made a vague offer, it may have been an honest mistake. This defense can be powerful in many prostitution cases.
Type of Evidence Can Be Used Against Me in A Prostitution Case
In the state of California, engaging in prostitution can result in legal action against both the client and the sex worker involved. If found guilty, severe consequences such as substantial fines and potential imprisonment may be imposed. Offenses related to prostitution, such as pandering, pimping, or lewd conduct, can also lead to similar penalties. In such cases, it is crucial to seek the guidance of a skilled criminal defense attorney. The use of evidence obtained from sources like mobile phones, advertisements in newspapers, and the internet can be used against the defendants in court. At Tabibnia Firm, our Los Angeles prostitution attorney has a deep understanding of how prostitution laws function, and our experience allows us to apply these laws effectively to vigorously defend our clients.
Hire Los Angeles Prostitution Lawyer, Do Not Go To Trial Without Us
If you have been charged with a prostitution-related offense in Los Angeles, it is essential to hire a competent and experienced prostitution attorney to represent you in court. Attempting to navigate the complex legal system on your own may result in dire consequences, including hefty fines and potential jail time.
At Tabibnia Firm, we have a deep understanding of the laws and regulations surrounding prostitution-related crimes, including pimping, pandering, and lewd conduct. Our attorney is experienced in crafting effective defense strategies tailored to the unique circumstances of each case, and we work tirelessly to protect the rights and interests of our clients.
Whether you are facing charges for solicitation, prostitution, or any other prostitution-related offense, our skilled attorney can help. We have the expertise and resources necessary to investigate the evidence against you, challenge any unlawful searches or seizures, and negotiate favorable plea deals or reduced charges, if necessary.
Don’t risk your future by going to trial without the guidance of an experienced Los Angeles prostitution attorney. Contact Tabibnia Firm today to schedule a confidential consultation and learn more about how we can help you fight your charges and protect your rights.
We are providing legal assistance throughout the state of California, covering a wide range of locations, Los Angeles, Sherman Oaks, Encino, Glendale, Torrance, Beverly Hills, Van Nuys, Woodland Hills, Pasadena, Long Beach, Redondo Beach, Santa Monica, Ventura, Manhattan Beach, Whittier, Downey, Orange County, San Fernando, Riverside, West Covina, Lancaster, Pomona, Burbank, Inglewood, Norwalk, Palmdale, Monterey, Santa Clarita, La Puente, Walnut Creek, Westlake Village