In Los Angeles, theft crimes are defined as unauthorized acts of taking another individual’s property or money. Depending on the nature and value of the stolen item, theft crimes in Southern California can either be classified as a misdemeanor or a felony. Notably, defense attorney Cyrus Tabibnia stands out with his extensive expertise in battling Los Angeles theft cases. There are many different crimes that fit this definition, such as shoplifting, robbery, burglary, larceny, forgery, embezzlement, auto theft, identity theft, auto theft and receiving stolen property. While petty theft, burglary, and robbery are common forms of theft crime, there is also a growing trend in the use of another person’s identity for fraud purposes—for example credit card thefts.
Misdemeanor Theft Crimes in Los Angeles
Petty theft, a prevalent form of misdemeanor theft, refers to the unauthorized taking of property or money valued at $400 or less. Conviction of this misdemeanor can lead to:
- A potential jail sentence of up to six months.
- Hefty court fines.
- Mandated restitution not only to the victim but also covering the law enforcement’s investigation costs.
- Enforced community service.
- Counseling requirements.
For those facing a Southern California petty theft charge, it is imperative to mount a strong defense. A prior conviction for such an offense can elevate a subsequent petty theft charge into a felony under the label “petty theft with a prior.” This elevation is actionable under the Penal Code Section 666 and may result in the prosecutor filing it as a felony.
In Los Angeles, prior convictions carry weight, especially in cases of petty theft. If you’ve faced a conviction for petty theft in the past and served any duration in custody, the next offense could automatically be escalated to a felony by the prosecuting authority. Consequences of a “petty theft with a prior” conviction in Southern California can be severe, encompassing:
- A prison tenure of up to three years.
- Enforced counseling sessions.
- Probation or parole monitoring.
- Escalating court fines.
- Mandated community service commitments.
- Obligatory restitution to both the affected victim and involved law enforcement entities.
Given these stringent implications, it becomes crucial to secure expert legal counsel swiftly upon a petty theft arrest in Los Angeles. Esteemed criminal defense attorney, Cyrus Tabibnia, is adept at navigating the intricacies of Southern California’s theft crime laws, ensuring a rigorous defense for your petty theft charge.
Felony Theft Crimes in Los Angeles: The Implications of Grand Theft
Within the legal framework of Los Angeles, grand theft is identified as the unauthorized acquisition of property or money, valued at $400 or more, from its rightful owner. The repercussions of felony theft crimes in Southern California, especially those involving grand theft, are particularly stringent and encompass:
- Incarceration in a state prison.
- Substantial court-imposed fines.
- Restitution mandates for both the victim and the assisting law enforcement agencies.
- Probation or parole monitoring.
- Financial reimbursement associated with supervision costs.
- Compulsory counseling sessions.
Moreover, it’s vital to be aware that any conviction related to theft in Los Angeles serves as a precursor, intensifying penalties for subsequent convictions, irrespective of the nature of the future crime.
Common Los Angeles and Southern California theft crimes include:
- Shoplifting – Penal Code Section 459.5 PC
- Petty theft – Penal Code Section 484 PC
- Petty Theft with a Prior – Penal Code Section 666 PC
- Grand Theft – Penal Code Section 487(a) PC
- Carjacking – Penal Code Section 215 PC
- Burglary – Penal Code Section 459 PC
- Robbery – Penal Code Section 211 PC
- Armed Robbery – Penal Code Section 211 PC with a weapon pursuant to Penal Code 12022 PC
- Vehicular Theft – Vehicle Code Section 10851 VC
- Embezzlement – Penal Code Section 503 PC
- Money Laundering
- Credit Card Fraud – Penal Code Section 484(e) PC
- Identity Theft
In Los Angeles, theft crime charges and their corresponding legal penalties are influenced by several factors: the nature and value of the stolen items and the accused individual’s criminal record. Specifically, repeat offenders face the possibility of heightened sentences, with potential prison tenures spanning several years.
Given the gravity of theft-related charges in Southern California, securing expert legal representation becomes paramount. If you find yourself under investigation or formally charged with a theft crime in Los Angeles, enlisting the services of a theft crimes attorney is an urgent priority. Opting for an attorney with a background as a former prosecutor, now specializing in theft crimes defense, can be a game-changer, possibly leading to case dismissal instead of a lasting conviction.
Theft Crimes Defense Attorney Los Angeles, California Can Help
In the vast legal spectrum of Los Angeles and Southern California, theft crimes stand out as some of the most commonly prosecuted offenses. These charges range in severity, from misdemeanors like petty theft to more serious felonies like grand theft and burglary. With the potential for significant penalties, including jail or prison time, hefty fines, and lasting marks on one’s criminal record, having a seasoned theft crimes attorney by your side becomes essential.
Cyrus Tabibnia, from Tabibnia Law Firm, would be the best choice for individuals facing theft charges in Los Angeles. Here’s why:
- In-Depth Expertise: Cyrus’s vast experience in theft crimes law equips him with the insights and nuances required for crafting a formidable defense strategy.
- Localized Knowledge: Operating primarily in Los Angeles and Southern California, Cyrus is well-acquainted with regional legal norms, trends, and court preferences.
- Client-Centric Approach: Tabibnia Law Firm is renowned for its unwavering commitment to clients, ensuring tailored defense strategies that align with individual case dynamics.
- Proven Track Record: The testimonials and case outcomes speak for themselves, emphasizing the firm’s prowess in securing favorable outcomes for clients.
For anyone grappling with theft charges, Cyrus Tabibnia from Tabibnia Law Firm stands out as an invaluable asset. His expertise, combined with a thorough understanding of Los Angeles and Southern California’s legal landscape, positions him as a top-tier choice for defense representation. If you discover that a theft crimes case has been registered against you in Los Angeles, it’s imperative to act promptly. Dial 866-713-2159 to connect with renowned Los Angeles criminal defense attorney, Cyrus Tabibnia.
Based on 28 reviews